Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A MUST SEE Video!


OK, one of my dear line sisters sent me a forward a day or so ago and although it was a forward which I usually don't open from folks, I knew she had to be sending me something intentionally. It was. Well, in case you haven't seen this video, please click on the link to A Girl Like Me.

Now, some of you may have seen this, and some of you perhaps have not. I still have a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach from watching what I only feared was true. This young lady, who's only 16 yrs old filmed this mini-documentary about black girls and beauty. I have to gather myself before I respond totally to what I saw. It hurt and stung at the same time. I've been there, done that in more ways than I care to remember or recall. But...if we tell our black selves the truth, we know it's REAL. I thank God for everyone who's telling their story in their blogs, because the more sistahs share what they have gone through and how free they are since releasing themselves to love their natural selves, the better!!! This is reason enough for anyone who's made the transition to write about it and share it with the world.

Here's another link on Mahagohny Butterfly called Fighting For Our Joy, which has photos and a forum for discussion about self-esteem in black girls.

May we continue to pray for natural black beauty and self love.

Maryee

4 comments:

Ree-C said...

Thank You for sharing that. I agree, we have to start somewhere. And blogs, photos, and comments are helping tell the message that we are beautiful without conforming to what is said to be beautiful. I enjoyed that Maryee. Great Post.

Come visit. I did a post just for you.

Detra said...

I have to admit, I fought back the tears watching that video! I addressed my issues with feeling pretty in a previous post on my blog. http://detrasnubiannapps.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_detrasnubiannapps_archive.html
I will say, that the fact that these beautiful sistahs are "talking" about this at such a young age, is an indication that we are moving forward with the issue, because in my era, you would NEVER! admit or even think about this out loud.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the link to this very insightful film about our girls and the girls that are still in us. I went straight home and talked to my daughter about this.

On another note- we really missed you and Jen this weekend at the DFW gathering. You guys were thought about!

Maryee said...

Hey Ree-C,

Thanks for updating your blog and being so transparent in your journey! The more who share the real story, the better! Keep sharing!

Detra,

I'm so tempted to do a study here in Waco. I probably wouldn't be surprised at the results. It is quite sad how far we've come and yet how far we still have to go. I'll go back and re-read your post in your blog. Let's keep the subject alive and shed a lot of light and truth to women of color, young and old.

Tra,

I am glad you spoke to your daughter about this. If we can find girls in an honest and vulnerable state, we can get the truth out of them about how they really perceive themselves and then respond in love accordingly. Keep sharing your story! Jen and I missed ya'll as well. I'm sure we'll get together before the year's up!!

Blessings ladies!!

Maryee