Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Small Sisterlocks or Large Sisterlocks?

That is the question that DejaVu asked both Jen and me. Jen's response is here.
Here's our dialogue below:

Hey DejaVu,

First of all, congratulations on getting your Sisterlocks.
You will just love them! As you have heard from many,
many folks in their blogs/albums, they are happy they did
get Sisterlocks and wish they did sooner. I agree.
It's
funny because I wish mine were a lil' thicker than they
are, but for other reasons...I'll get into that on
my blog when I have time to update that particular topic.

Maryee


Deja Vu wrote: Thanks! I'd also be curious to know why you wish
your were thicker? My consultant typically does a smaller
loc on her clients but I am wanting larger locs because I
will have to do my own maintenance. The fewer the locs,
the more manageable the maintenance as far as I am concerned.
My consultant did mention, however, that with the larger
locs one loses the “distinctive” Sisterlocks look. I’d be
interested in knowing what you see as the drawbacks. Thanks
again for your help.


Deja Vu

Deja Vu,

Sorry I'm just now emailing you back. It's been busy, busy,
busy!! I like my size, the problem arose when I went too
long between retightenings. During that time, IMHO, the
root beds start to thin out, thus making them smaller and
weak. I've lost more than my share of locks behind that.

But I had no control over moving back home to Waco and not
having money to get my hair reightened for almost 5 months
and taking the retightening class which I now retighten my
own hair. The closest consultant is in the DFW area.

That's where the major damage came in. If I continued to
get my hair retightened on schedule it wouldn't be a problem.
But, since that was/is not the case (I still have lazy days
in keeping my own retightening schedule) I have paid dearly
for it. I like my size, I just don't like small weak root
beds. You lose locks easily that way, IMHO. This is no fault
of my initial installation or consultant. It's me just being
poor and lazy. Hope this helps. Take care!!!!!

Maryee


Now my question to those out there in blogland who've had
locks for at least over a year: How are your rootbeds holding up?
Lose any locks for reasons such as mine? Are you happy with
the size of your locks? If so/not why? Comments please! :-)
Jen's locks in the early stage.



Here's current pics of my hair!



7 comments:

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Sorry, I havent been a year yet! I just wanted to comment on your recent pics your locks look great! They are constantly growing!

Maryee said...

Thanks Sistalocd,

I asked for "1 yr" locked folks, cause I think around that time, you've had enough retightenings and your hair has swelled and locked for the most part to see a big difference in small or large sisterlocks along with the rootbed. I need to make a 1st day, 1yr, 2yr, 3yr comparison so ya'll can see the changes. Take care and thanks for the sweet compliment. And yes, both Jen and my hair is constantly growing!!!!

Blessings,

Maryee

Brenda said...

As I retighten my own (6.4yrs) and my daughter's (3.9yrs) I have to admit that laziness takes over me. I was doing us both on an every 2 month schedule but switched to every month. I did notice that there was some thinning and I had to combine some. But after I started not waiting so long, they fattened up and I had to make them back into two locks. I try not to go over the schedule by more than a week now.

Maryee said...

I'm the combining queen. I have really been pondering combining a whole lot, simply because I do not like such thin rootbeds. That laziness is a rootbed killer!!! I have to retighten every 5-6 weeks at the latest. Thanks for your feedback.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the luv Maryee :-)

These are such a good questions imo. I do hope that more folks will weigh in. Size is the biggest (no pun intended) factor in the final look of our sisterlocks; I too am curious as to how the sistahs with mature sisterlocks feel about the size of their locs. I will definitely make it a point to blog about size at my one year mark.

deja

Maryee said...

Hey deja,

I have had larger lock envy for the longest. Here's an example with my fotki friend, Dread_Princess. I hope others give their feedback as well. With you blogging and chronicling your journey from the start, you'll have a lot to reflect upon. Wishing you all the best!!

BlaqKofi said...

Maryee, I don't have any problems with my root bed, but sometimes wish just the front of my locks were a little larger. Now that I'm getting some length, and IMHO because the size of the front ones, they fall in my face or don't stay where I want them to stay. I just think if they were slightly larger, I could manage them better. BUT I WOULD NOT TRADE MY SL FOR ANY OTHER HAIRSTYLE. I am overly happy with them and will be Loc'd4Life!