Thursday, September 13, 2007

Miss Evans, How much them Sisterlocks Cost?

Every night when I come home, one of my ways of decompressing is visiting Lockitup to see what the ladies and some gentlemen are talking about. One of the topics is the cost of Sisterlocks. Renea did a good job of addressing it in her blog, but since I'm teaching 7th Math this year, I decided to do some quick calculations on my "pre" and "post" Sisterlock fees.

I had a standing appointment every six weeks when I lived in Houston to see my dear Ms. Linda who braided my hair (I'll add a picture of her beautiful work later). I gladly gave her $100 (not including tip days) and the cost of driving about an hour both ways from Webster (Clear Lake City) to the southwest side off Beltway 8 and Fondron. I would spend the better part of 5-6 hours with her each time, according to what beautiful and creative style we'd come up with. I was her guinea pig. That costed me about $860 a year for almost 3 years (not including gas). The hair, which sometimes was synthetic and sometimes human, totaled about $325 for the year. We're at $1185 so far. Ooops, did I mention I was a "hair care" junkie? I wasn't addicted to creamy crack, but I definitely was addicted to all the supplements. That would run me on average about $250 a year. This includes every "new super hair growth" product, shampoo, cream, oil, etc. We're up to $1435 now. I'll stop there.

When I got Sisterlocked. My initial cost almost 4 years ago (the good ole' price days) was $375 which included my consultation, locking session, locking kit, and follow-up retightening. The locking session only took 8 hours.

The 8.6 times a year retightenings came to roughly $516. I paid a flat rate of $60 at that time, which my dear consultant Imani always got me out of there in less than 2 hours. That's about $890. The deliverance from being a "hair care" junkie saved me a couple of hundred dollars a year, so I'd say I probably spent about $100 on SL products, if that a year. So that comes to about $990 for the 1st year and about $600 for the year after that. You do the Math.

In in the summer of 2005 I took the retightening class from my other dear consultant Gigi, which costs me $125. With the exception of only one visit since then, which costs me about $90 and a trip to Euless, that's about it, with the big pay-outs on Sisterlocks. The SL haircare supplement costs are still about the same, but for the most part, I've been saving money, hand over fist.

Now, that I have a lil' income teaching, I plan on scheduling retightenings again with Gigi, so I can get pampered. I also plan on giving some beauticians here in Waco an opportunity to touch my hair by shampooing, rollings and styling it. I may let them do some cute up-dos or a french roll. We'll see. I just need to get through my first year teacher hazing period. I miss blogging, so that's why I had to post about the question, "Miss Evans, How much them Sisterlocks cost"?

I'll be back later to update on my first days of school. So far, so good!! I gotta get dressed and out the door. Laters! Oh yeah, the students at my school know exactly what my hair is, so much that yesterday this girl was telling me my "dreads" were "tight" and one of my students corrected her and said, "Those are Sisterlocks." She was like, "Sisterlocks?" I just told her to "google it."

14 comments:

brunsli said...

Great post.

You're hit Number 3!

Maryee said...

Hey B,

You are welcome! I'm slow. I thought I was #3 only on my own google toolbar search. This is new info to me! Take care!!

Shanessence said...

Happy back-to-school! I'm thinking about taking the retightening class soon myself, so hearing your trajectory is helpful. :)

Aya said...

Maryee, enjoyable read and well stated. Before sisterlocks, I was caring for my own hair. So having my sl's installed did put a little burden on my budget, but one well worth it. I will be taking the retightening class at the end of the month, and that should help a lot.

Maryee said...

Shanessence and Aya,

Thanks! I'd recommend the retightening class for anyone who's ready to save a little money and take care of their hair between consultant visits. Blessings to you...

Naturally Sophia said...

Good Post! It's funny how SL wearers are all in tune with each other. I swear this is the 4th blog this month on the topic. Your hair is gorgeous!

Maryee said...

Thank you Ms. Sophia for your kind compliments. I am glad we can share our personal experiences with others who are considering Sisterlocks. I am soooo glad that the hair I deal with is all mine. Blessings!

Creyole said...

Nice post! I'll be sending all of my "cost" justifications to this post.

Linda said...

You are absolutely right when you add all the costs, any other hair managment system that involves someone else performing the service is more costly. SL's like anything else is a commitment in more than one way, but one that a woman who is sure of herself is willing to make. Your locks are looking fabulous. Keep on inspiring us all...Peace

Anonymous said...

Even though I'm chiming in late, I'm very happy to have read this post. Everyone wants to look at the initial cost of Sisterlocks but not how much they save in the long run.

Your calculations were based on someone getting natural styles done at the salon so you did save quite a bit. Those with perms wanting to transition to Sisterlocks save more than money, they also save themselves from further hair damage. Me and my mother are always discussing how if we were still getting perms our hair would be so thin and brittle. Not having thin, brittle or unhealthy hair is priceless... Not to mention my hair would more than likely be in a horrid ponytail...bleh!!!

Maryee said...

Creyole, Linda, and Meikmeika! I'm glad I finally put this post together because it will serve as a great reference for those who are skeptical about the up-front costs and maintenance fees. I know for others it may cost less or more, but this is a good guide to refer to. I asked Jen yesterday if she had it to do all over again, with getting Sisterlocks, her response was, "I would have done it 10 yrs earlier." I concur. This would have saved me thousands of dollars and saved my hair of much damage from "non-professionals". We live and we learn. Stay blessed and keep it locked up!!!

Ro~ said...

Happy LocVersary TODAY right!! 11/28th, at least according to the first pic in this post. Love the pics, slide show and the wealth of info you have shared.

Maryee said...

Thank for the well wishes Ro! Yes, it's my Lockversary! Many blessings to you!!!

rosie said...

I just wanted to know where you did your sisterlocks in houston. I have very thin natural hair that is difficult to style