Monday, February 01, 2010

Where are all the Black Locked People at?

Over the years while I have maintained the Locked Hair Blog Exchange, I've often checked out my stat counter map of visitors. For the longest I couldn't understand why the visitors weren't more evenly distributed across the nation. Finally today I figured it all out. The first picture below shows the visitors from America, Europe and Africa.  You can see clearly that the East Coast and Europe are heavy with visitors.

When you get a closeup of the US, you'll have a better glimpse of the breakdown.  I kept saying, "Do no people of color have locks in other regions of the US?"  

Then, I googled African American population in the United States and this is what I came up with.



Well, I guess it all makes sense now. I am sure in the states where the population of African Americans is sparse, they may be some locked brothers and sisters, but the East Coast and South/South East Coastal states dominate.  When I visited the DC-Maryland area in 2007 it was a love fest seeing all the locked brothers and sisters.  The more we blog about it, vlog and document it pictorially, the more ubiquitous it will become. 

2 comments:

Hibiscus Niki said...

Maryee,
I have been unofficially following your blog and others for about 2 years now. I had sister locks installed in June of 2008 and would love the opportunity to join the locked hair blog exchange since I finally decided to start my own blog. I understand joining is by invitation only. I look forward to sharing my experiences with others.

Hibiscus Niki

Maryee said...

Glad to have you a part of the exchange. Your blog is exciting and informative!